The next council meeting is scheduled for 03/09 at 7:30 pm cst
If you had a signature with a link to raptr.com, your signature has been erased. This mostly affected old members.

Random bug

Please post your technical related questions here.
Sirmalekk
Member 5 years
Member 5 years

Random bug

Post by Sirmalekk » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:33 pm

Okay so I was chatting in discord about this and it got me thinking that I am not ready to throw in the towel just yet. So little backstory here, I build lots of things and love to tinker, I have been building my own PC's for more than 2 decades but this is the first time Ive had issues like this ever. I do not want to admit it but it might be something as simple as a new power unit however before I get to that I would like to see what others might think because Windows 10 is not a strength of mine.

So basically I can completely and utterly random BSOD's however they only appear random over a course of time. One thing I have notices is the locations and hex's for the stop codes are similar and although the BSOD itself is totally random like I can go weeks with nothing then suddenly happens 2 times or more in a single day. They seem to focus around sounds drivers and on very rare occasions a stop code involving windows kernel with an unspecified error but I have a sneaking suspicion it still deals with the audio for some reason. Most times during a BSOD the sound, if anything is playing, will freeze first then BSOD will come up with the stop codes. I can post a more detailed description of my hardware or try to post Diag files to show my general hardware and driver updates.

Of the fixes I had tried have all been software related, I updated MOBO Bios... make crashing go away for weeks but came back then I proceeded to manually update every single driver but again nothing seems to actually permanently fix this issue of reliability so I have come to just try to live with it figuring my only option is to wipe the harddrive and start over. I really do not want to do that. These issues all seemed to have started when I found a faulty ram card, I replaced all my cards with new ram and then even replaced my main HD with an SSD version. I did not flash over the old drive but choose to do a clean install however I made the mistake of installing MSI software to avoid having to manually update everything all the time. I curse myself for it because it was very hard to remove that stuff. I fear that perhaps some missing or junky data might be stuck in the registration or causing hardware comflicts somewhere but are buried so deep I can not find it. Software is not my strongest point admittedly so I hoping I can get some help.

Reason I say about the possibility of the PU being bad too is because its the only component I did not buy brand new from the old PC I had and that makes it about 5 years old give or take but to get a sufficient one equal to the Corsair 750w I currently have is pricey. I try to upgrade when I replace which is why unless that is the actually issue I do not want to dump the money on it. Typing all this out is making me really lean on rail voltage failure or being inconsistent as the only time I seem to really get any BSOD's is under load from either usage or Windows/driver updates and such.
Although you can not control the choices others make around you, you can choose how you react and are influenced by these choices.

Creed
Council Member
Council Member

Re: Random bug

Post by Creed » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:22 am

You can find 1000w ps's for around 90 bucks. I bought mine around 3 years ago and still going strong. If it's the only component you haven't replaced then perhaps the new stuff is pulling more than the old can handle.

Don't burn your new stuff up by speculating the issue. Just go ahead and replace the ps and be done with it.
* A Grievance Guild Relic and Master of Nothing *
"Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves?"

Sirmalekk
Member 5 years
Member 5 years

Post by Sirmalekk » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:39 pm

Yeah I have to agree. The new chipsets might be more efficient but new graphic cards are anything but. Anyone have recommendations? currently using an i7-4790 on a MSI MOBO, I know some psu are more friendly to specific chipsets than others.

Forgot to include just an hour beforehand I had good old BSOD this time just a generic run time error stop code so I am going to replace the PSU.
Although you can not control the choices others make around you, you can choose how you react and are influenced by these choices.

Sirmalekk
Member 5 years
Member 5 years

Post by Sirmalekk » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:49 pm

*update*

Well I put in a new EVGA Supernova 1000 G1+ so hopefully that will solve the issue if it was a voltage thing. Nice having a modular PSU too.

Deboman

Post by Deboman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:58 pm

Hi I know I am new around here but the first thing you should take a look at is your event viewer and fix all the errors- if it caused a crash and it is software related it will be in there. Just a tip before you start replacing parts. Another thing to look at is your task scheduler try to match a task start process with the crash times and dates in the event viewer, the reason it is random is it could be a triggered or timed task that is causing a conflict and crash- simply turning a task off could fix the issue- don't go turning off random tasks tho make sure your paying attention to what your doing. Edit* Do administrative command prompt and do a "SFC /Scannow" its the system file checker and will make sure your system files are working correctly also.

I'm not going to presume to know the best stress test tools but if you have ruled out software completely a stress test is needed- I usually take mine to microcenter for stress tests costs 40-70 bucks then replace whatever doesn't pass- going this route may save you a lot of heart ache.

With regards Debo,
(24 years tech support experience)

Return to “Tech Forum”